Dr. Liang He is a researcher in soft robotics. He completed his Ph.D. at Imperial College London with the Morph Lab. Since 2017, he has been a part of the EPSRC Motion and RoboPatient project, where he develops robot-assisted approaches for medical training. He aims to understand human behavior in haptic exploration and develop a framework to support the learning process. He is reviewer for several leading journals (IEEE Transaction on Robotics, Soft Robotics, IEEE Robotics & Automation Letters, IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, etc.) and conferences (IEEE ICRA, IROS, RoboSoft, etc.) in the field of robotics.
In early 2021, he joined the Soft Robotics Lab at the Oxford Robotics Institute, where his work focuses on active soft sensing and using the inherited physical reservoir for assisted computation. He is interested in the novel soft actuator/sensor design, fabrication, and control for unstructured environment navigation and Human-robot interaction. He is also a member of the Researcher Committee in the Department of Engineering Science.
- Soft and compliant robotics
- Soft sensor and actuators
- Machine haptics and Human behaviour in tactile perception
- Healthcare, medical and biomedical applications
- Augmented human-robot interaction
- Robot-assisted medical training
- Rehabilitation and wearable devices.
From Sensing to Collaboration:
Engineering, Exploring and Exploiting the Building Blocks of Embodied Intelligence
Selected Journal Publications:
1. He, Liang, Nicolas Herzig, Simon de Lusignan, Luca Scimeca, Perla Maiolino, Fumiya Iida, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "An abdominal phantom with tunable stiffness nodules and force sensing capability for palpation training." IEEE Transactions on Robotics 37, no. 4 (2020): 1051-1064.
3. He, Liang, Qiujie Lu, Sara-Adela Abad, Nicolas Rojas, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "Soft fingertips with tactile sensing and active deformation for robust grasping of delicate objects." IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters 5, no. 2 (2020): 2714-2721.
4. He, Liang, Xinyang Tan, Koichi Suzumori, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "A method to 3D print a programmable continuum actuator with single material using internal constraint." Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 324 (2021): 112674.
5. Herzig, Nicolas, Liang He, Perla Maiolino, Sara-Adela Abad, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "Conditioned haptic perception for 3D localization of nodules in soft tissue palpation with a variable stiffness probe." PloS one 15, no. 8 (2020): e0237379.
6. Tan, Xinyang, Liang He, Jiangang Cao, Wei Chen, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "A soft pressure sensor skin for hand and wrist orthoses." IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters 5, no. 2 (2020): 2192-2199.
7. Wang, Sihan, Liang He, and Perla Maiolino. "Design and Characterization of a 3D-printed Pneumatically-driven Bistable Valve with Tunable Characteristics." IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters 7, no. 1 (2021): 112-119.
Selected Conference Publications:
1. He, Liang, Florence Leong, Thilina Dulantha Lalitharatne, Simon de Lusignan, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "A haptic mouse design with stiffening muscle layer for simulating guarding in abdominal palpation training." In 2021 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 12588-12594. IEEE, 2021.
2. He, Liang, Nicolas Herzig, Simon de Lusignan, and Thrishantha Nanayakkara. "Granular jamming based controllable organ design for abdominal palpation." In 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 2154-2157. IEEE, 2018.
3. Lu, Qiujie, Liang He, Thrishantha Nanayakkara, and Nicolas Rojas. "Precise in-hand manipulation of soft objects using soft fingertips with tactile sensing and active deformation." In 2020 3rd IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft), pp. 52-57. IEEE, 2020.